Skip to main content

A Journey of Redemption: My Struggle and Triumph Over Substance Abuse

देश के बच्चों को बचाने के लिए, मैं अपना जान भी देने को तैयार हूँ।(I am ready to sacrifice my life to save the children of my country). Sanjeebh NYIN Member 
Gratitude is a powerful force that can transform lives, and today I find myself compelled to express my deepest appreciation. Emerging from the shadows of substance abuse, I owe my recovery to the unwavering support of my institute, dedicated teachers, and the transformative guidance of individuals like Manoj Sir, Ravis Sir, Sunil Sir, and others. This blog serves as a testament to my journey, filled with challenges, self-discovery, and the intervention of true messengers of hope.
A Floating Situation:

After completing a life-changing training program, I found myself adrift, battling OCD and seeking a purpose. It was then that fate intervened, and I encountered two remarkable individuals – Suneel Vastyavan  and Pallavi Maam.  Their guidance became the lighthouse that directed me towards a path of redemption. I seized the opportunity they offered, determined to make a difference and share the knowledge gained during my recovery.

Promoting Awareness and Advocacy:

Post-training, I embarked on a mission to spread awareness about the consequences of substance abuse. Meeting with  then Health Minister Manipur , initiating a signature campaign for World No Tobacco Day, and navigating the complex corridors of power, I garnered support and encouragement. Though my efforts to meet the Chief Minister were hampered, I successfully collected signatures from key officials, teachers, and students, fostering a sense of responsibility and awareness.
Delhi Experience and Gratitude:

My journey took me to Delhi, where I actively participated in a program that received widespread appreciation. I extend my heartfelt gratitude to all the teaching and non-teaching staff, as well as my family members who have been pillars of support. Special apologies to Bipin Sir and Nidha Hasmi for my struggles with OCD during our time together.

The Power of Will:
Reflecting on my past, I recall how the mantra "If there is a will, there is a way" acted as my escape route during difficult times. Today, as I tread the right path, I apply this principle with a renewed sense of purpose, guided by NISD and the respected mentors Suneel Sir and Pallavi Maam.

A Call for Change:
As I continue my journey of recovery and advocacy, I leave you with a profound thought: 
देश के बच्चों को बचाने के लिए, मैं अपना जान भी देने को तैयार हूँ।(I am ready to sacrifice my life to save the children of my country). Through my experiences and the support of Nada India Foundation, National Instiute of Socail Defense, and other guiding lights, I strive to contribute to a healthier and more aware society. May our collective efforts pave the way for a brighter, substance-free future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navjyoti’s Legacy & Nada India’s Mission: Strengthening Peer-Led Solutions for Public Health

  Reflecting on Navjyoti’ s impactful journey and the legacy of its UNODC project, I’m inspired by how it brought together experts and communities to create transformative change. Yesterday, with Anuj and over 120 participants, I revisited these milestones, realizing their relevance today—especially as Nada India continues this mission, addressing how #TB and #NCDs disproportionately impact drug users. I’d love to hear your thoughts on how peer-led initiatives like these can be a learning opportunity for psychiatric social workers and public health professionals. Let’s also shine a light on the vital role of peer counselors in bridging service gaps and creating sustainable solutions. Your insights mean a lot to me. Join the conversation! Let’s explore how these stories can inform and inspire our collective work for healthier communities.  vsuneel@gmail.com 

Peer led drug rehabilitation center in Delhi " The New Beginning of New Life" members interacting with young members of Radio club

Mr.Ganesh Thapliyal and Mr.Heera Singh Dhami from a peer led drug rehabilitation center the Beginning of a New Life were invited to speak to young members of Pehachaan Radio Club Balbhawan Mandi Village Delhi . Mr.Ganesh and Mr.Heera are  drug free for than a decade recovery and proud of being drug free and believes in total abstinence from all mood altering drug including alcohol. They shared their real life experiences,attitudes  related to their childhood and young age and how they suffered because of drug abuse and what they lost and how they overcome. Sharing with these young people was itself was a new experience for them. Although, they have been conducting similar sharing based  prevention program among college and school going population. This event was organised by Nada India  in  collaboration with Jawahar Balbhawan Mandi on 8th Nov.2011.   They also asserte...

Besides addiction cross cutting issues like NCDs &Tuberculosis are real challenges says National Award winners Pradip & Harish

Prof. T.K.Thomas   Pradip and Harish speaking during Nada India Capacity Building workshop  There were ‘’patient champions” running peer led drug rehabilitation centers. Two such National Award winning entrepreneurs Pradip Goyal, who runs Vikalp in Ghaziabad and Harish Bhutani who runs Nav Vikalp in Jaipur explained the challenges of working with patients who have, besides addiction, cross cutting NCDs like, Tuberculosis, diabetes, HIV/AIDS and mental health problems.... The annual World No Tobacco Day was observed on 31st May. The day is observed by the World Health Organization [WHO] and global partners as an opportunity to raise awareness on the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form. This year’s focus for the day was, “Tobacco and lung health”. Everyone knows how tobacco affects our lungs. The WHO release says, the campaign will increase awareness on, “the...